Forum

You have 0 bookmarked item(s)
Viewing Topic "the Arikara war 1823"
  Topic Description
Posted by: mrhistory2 the first plains Indians war ever fought was the Arikara war in 1823 in South Dakota between the Arikara and the US. it was the first US fight with a plains indians tribe and started when Arikara warriors attacked a trapping expedition. the US later sent troops against the Arikara led by Henry Leavenworth as well as some Sioux Indians,who were enemies of the Arikara. the Sioux had defeated the Arikara and expelled them from their terrority,making them settle close to the Hidtasa, after defeating them in 1792. many Arikara would later become scouts for Custer at Little Bighorn,as well as the Crow. While this war was small,it was the first Plains Indians war,as one excellent book I own says-The Arikara war,the first plains indians war 1823 it is also briefly mentioned in the essential histories on the Plains wars,which I own.. I would say a campaign or men-at-arms is in order.
Posted on: 06/01/2013 23:20:00

1 Item(s)     Sort:  Newest Oldest

per page

Total Posts:
Joined Date: Thursday, 27 January 2022
The Arikara were allies of the Mandan and Hidatsa,and enemies of the Sioux.
Posted on: 10/01/2013 20:16:00

1 Item(s)     Sort:  Newest Oldest

per page