United Kingdom
Advanced search
Osprey will be working from home from Tuesday 17th March. We plan to continue all our operations, while reducing risk of infection by having staff work from home. Please note that we are doing our best to manage incoming post and parcels. For the time being please refrain from sending items to our offices and please assume that items that you have sent to us, have not arrived with their intended recipient. Our priority remains the wellbeing of staff, authors, customers, freelancers, suppliers and distributors. We would like to thank all for their support whilst we transition to virtual operations.

Forum

You have 0 bookmarked item(s)
Viewing Topic "Ramillies 1706"
  Topic Description
Posted by: Michael Kazich @ Osprey Hi all,

Perhaps some of you have seen this, but there's a cool blog from the illustrator of the new Campaign title about his research trip to Ramillies etc.

http://seanobrogain.blogspot.ie/2014/10/well-folks-its-been-while-obviously-i.html

Thanks,

Michael K

Posted on: 24/10/2014 10:52:00

17 Item(s)     Sort:  Newest Oldest

per page

Total Posts: 373
Joined Date: Monday, 4 February 2013
Thank you for the link Michael K. Very interesting to see all the pictures and learn how Mr O'Brogain went about collecting his materials. I got my copy of this book earlier this week and I'm half way into it. Very good indeed so far both visually and as a narrative. I hope this is selling well and will jolt Osprey management into realising the appeal of more 17-18th. century European Campaign titles.
Posted on: 24/10/2014 13:32:00
Posted by: Amaral
Total Posts: 200
Joined Date: Friday, 8 March 2013
Makes me think of this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4kVCYJ5lmU
Posted on: 26/10/2014 16:43:00
Posted by: Rebel
Total Posts: 2
Joined Date: Wednesday, 18 January 2017
Painty,

many thanks for the kind words - Ramillies was very much a team effort and I hope that the finished text, artwork and photographs combine to make the wait an acceptable price to pay for yourself, AdamC and everyone who was interested in another 17th/18th Century title coming out.

I also natually hope that the narrative does justice both to Marlborough's ability as well as the contribution of all of the Allied contingents on one side, but also to their opposite numbers who have been badly served by critics in the succeeding centuries, both to exopnerate their own conduct and to laud the Duke even further.

One of the benefits (for me at least) of writing for Osprey is that I get the chance to walk over the same terrain that is discussed in the text and here, you really get to see (or not) the effects of terrain on a battle which is why we have the staged sequence of images getting closer to the village and yet visibility gets worse......Let me know what you think when you reach the end of the book.

If there is interest, I'll naturally be pitching a proposal to Osprey for Oudenaarde (and if that works, eventually Malplaquet) but there are also a number of other late 17th and early 18th century battles which, with a bit of luck may end up seeing the light of day.

Watch this space !

All the best,

Mike.
Posted on: 27/10/2014 15:50:00
Posted by: Paintybeard
Sorry for a late response, Mike, it’s been a busy couple of days.

I’ve finished Ramillies now, and I’m very impressed with it. As you say, walking the ground of a battlefield does add an awful lot to ones understanding of a battlefield, it has certainly helped “the penny to drop” for me on many occasions. Getting this sort of information over on the printed page is challenging, but you have managed it very skilfully. This, combined with Mr O’Broigans artwork, gives a real impression of what “the fog of war” meant. All in all a very good account of a complex, shifting battle and a very fair assessment of the contribution of all participants.

I was especially pleased that you took the time at the beginning to take us through the events of 1705. It certainly helped me to put the battle into context.

So I shall be looking out for books on Ourenade and Malplaquet. But if you choose to spread your wings and cover any other battles from 1650-1750 I will be equally pleased, there are certainly plenty of interesting candidates.

Posted on: 29/10/2014 13:56:00
Posted by: AdamC
Total Posts: 276
Joined Date: Thursday, 22 January 2009
Hi guys!

Sorry but I’ve only just seen this thread!!! I’ve just started reading Ramillies 1706 and so far it’s excellent!!! Congratulations to both Mike and Sean for a great addition to the Campaign series. My favourite plate has to be the second one – “The Struggle For Ramillies”. I’d love to see you follow up with Oudenaarde 1708 but as you quite rightly say Mike, there are many other late 17th and early/mid 18th century battles just crying out for a Campaign. I look forward to what you have in store for us next!!!

Posted on: 06/11/2014 21:09:00
Posted by: achim
Total Posts: 40
Joined Date: Wednesday, 11 September 2013
Hello Guy's, this weekend I read the Book! I can only concur with the others! Excellent Work! I think, the CAM Format is actually best employed in such one day Battles with limted geographical extensión! I hope the Title is a comercial success as well, and may encourage OSPREY to follow up with more of the 18th Century....
Posted on: 10/11/2014 19:01:00
Hi Adam, Hi Achim (and of course Painty and anyone who has read the book and found it of interest/use). Ramillies was a joy to do, firstly because of the subject matter and secondly because I was able to formally collaborate with Sean O'B, a long time friend and talented artist.

Oudenaarde and Malplaquet are definitely two that I hope that Osprey will commission in the future (and of course, let me loose upon) but will put painty out of his misery by saying that the next "pitches" I'll be making to my long suffering editor at Osprey will be Dettingen and Fontenoy, firstly because of my interest in the period but also because of the symmetry. The first is an Allied victory because the French throw it away, whilst the opposite happens at Fontenoy, also we are all aware of George II/Cumberland at Dettingen, but Louis XV and the Dauphin were at Fontenoy, both kings' presence being as much due to the blandishments of their courtiers as to any martial vigour, although George was also motivated to outshine his nephew, Frederick of Prussia....

Or would you rather more of John Churchill......?

And naturally Turin is also a prime candidate.......

Laters - Mike.
Posted on: 12/11/2014 22:14:00
Posted by: achim
Total Posts: 40
Joined Date: Wednesday, 11 September 2013
Thrilled to hear about your near future Proyects Rebel! Hope the ones "high up" at OSPREY will listen to you! As the 18th Century is definitely underrepresented in most OSPREY Series, I would, of course, support any and all of those ideas, and surely buy the Books if they become reality! Cheers!
Posted on: 13/11/2014 14:53:00
Hello again Rebel, I'd sort of figured out that Dettingen was your other plan, but forgotten which thread to talk to you on(!) And I fully agree with Achim that battles of this period are very nicely suited to the "Campaign" format. They aren't so big that cuts have to be made to squeeze them into 96 pages and yet they are recent enough to have good primary sources available.

Having done such a good job on "Boyne" a few years back, do you fell like going a little earlier and doing the Battle of the Dunes?
Posted on: 16/11/2014 15:40:00
Painty, many thanks your note - Well the Dettingen proposal is complete and I hope to jet it off to Osprey sometime this week with its' twin on Fontenoy...Am glad that you liked the Boyne (it seems so so long ago) and yes, I would like to have a crack at the Dunes.

Having said that, and purely for info, am trying manfully to being another project for a different publisher to a close which covers the Anglo-Spanish War

and so covers the Western Design, Blake in the Med and naturally the Dunes....

Talk Soon,

Mike.
Posted on: 17/11/2014 09:07:00
Sorry, just another thought. Agree with you as well which is why in Ramillies rather than just plonk the info in, I tried to cover the gap between Blenheim and Ramillies so as to give the reader a better overview. Am naturally trying to adopt the same perspective for the proposals for Dettingen and Fontenoy. That way we'll cover why the war broke out and then the conflict up to June/July 1743 for the first and then the conduct of the war through to1745 for the second....That way if we are all lucky the readership will get a coherent narrative rather than the case of "I want....." and then the proposer simply lifts a list of battles from wikipedia without thinking of references or continuity of theme...Talk Soon.....Mike.

Posted on: 17/11/2014 09:12:00
Rebel: Yes, I thought your long introduction was one of the best points about "Ramillies", and I'd be happy to see something like that in many other books in the series. And I was quite tickled when you gently put the boot into Charles Spencer as well!

I shall have my fingers crossed that the Dettingen book makes the cut for next year. And do drop us a few more hints about your other publisher so I can follow up on the Spanish war book.
Posted on: 17/11/2014 11:03:00
Posted by: Railok
Total Posts: 19
Joined Date: Monday, 8 October 2012
Any comment on the absence of the monthly discount this month, Michael? I know it's been hinted at for a Black Friday offer next week..
Posted on: 21/11/2014 11:46:00
Posted by: Hugo Rodrigues
Total Posts: 5
Joined Date: Monday, 13 December 2010
This is directed at Osprey's editorial services rather than the author: modern battlefield photographs (of which this book has plenty, showing the thorough work the author and illustrator did on that regard) are nearly useless if rendered in B&W. All books with large sections of battlefield photos need to be printed in full colour. You already do that for many Campaigns series books (such as those about ancient warfare) - can't be much of a stretch to make them *all* full colour, can it?
Posted on: 21/11/2014 12:02:00
Posted by: Pompeius Minus
Total Posts: 6
Joined Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2013
Glad to hear about the new proposals.

Fontenoy is certainly deserving of a CAM title. Very interesting battle with innovative tactics (British column and French skirmishers), and de Saxe who was a military thinker end reformer of some importance as well as an unbeaten commander (like the much more famous Marlborough).
Posted on: 17/12/2014 10:42:00

Dear Painty, AdamC, Achim and everyone else on this thread.

Well the deed is done, although it was delayed through circumstances beyond etc etc Osprey have now woven their usual magic over my literary efforts and produced something which you'll enjoy.

Will admit that being an Anglophone I started off from the "pitched battle" scenario but having spent what seems to have been an eternity poring through sources both contemporary and modern and of course in four languages (five if you count 19th century German script, and six if you add my brief foray into Polish) I would hope that I've been fair to all participants.

One benefit I've had from this, apart from being able to "walk the field" and also to liaise with colleagues in several countries is to be able to see - and I hope I do the shade of M de Saxe justice in my explanation of - the intricacies of his plan. As an avowed 18th century buff, it makes you wonder what might have happened had he have survived his ill health and have taken part in the Seven Years War. Likewise, if Löwendahl had have also taken part....

A what if, but if you see how in three short years he overran the Austrian Netherlands much would be possible - And you never know, if Fontenoy does well enough at 'the Box Office', Osprey may let me loose again on the 18th Century......

Kind Regards,

Mike

Mike

Posted on: 18/01/2017 20:22:13

Dear All,

must also thank Sean O'B for some pretty stunning artwork, won't give the game away, but they do look good !

Mike

Posted on: 18/01/2017 21:05:58

17 Item(s)     Sort:  Newest Oldest

per page