United Kingdom
Advanced search
Osprey will be working from home from Tuesday 17th March. We plan to continue all our operations, while reducing risk of infection by having staff work from home. Please note that we are doing our best to manage incoming post and parcels. For the time being please refrain from sending items to our offices and please assume that items that you have sent to us, have not arrived with their intended recipient. Our priority remains the wellbeing of staff, authors, customers, freelancers, suppliers and distributors. We would like to thank all for their support whilst we transition to virtual operations.

Forum

You have 0 bookmarked item(s)
Viewing Topic "Rach Gam Xoai Mut 1785-Tay Son destroys Siam"
  Topic Description
Posted by: Thenadiert1815 Last night I was heading out for Vietnamese cuisine with my Vietnamese friend, as he and I had been recently reading Howard Simpson's book on Dien Bien Phu.When we sat down in the restaurant waiting to be served, we started discussing Vietnamese military history. we talked about Tet 1789 and 1968,Dien Bien Phu,the French conquest of 1858-1862,the Chinese invasion of 1979, and so on. He mentioned about when the Tay Son,who destroyed the Chinese in 1789,how they had creamed Siam in 1785 at Rach Gam Xoai Mut,which I never heard of. He said he had been to the monument at the battlefield,and when I got home I looked it up,found a short Wikipedia article,and other sources I wanted to share. What happened here In 1783,Siam invaded Vietnam, which at the time was controlled by the Tay Son. Siamese brutality toward Vietnamese turned many people against them. Nguyen Hue, who in 1789 would defeat a invading Chinese army, was the commander of the Vietnamese forces who defeated the Siamese. He planned a way to defeat them in open battle. On January 20,1785, The Vietnamese lured the Siamese into a trap under a banner of peace. the Siamese army and navy was attacked and destroyed, having been lured into the trap. of 30,000,about 2,000 escaped. Siam also at the same time was fighting Burma. This battle is creepily similar to the battle of Bach Dang in 938. Why does it deserve a book? While incredibly obscure, this battle was a important victory in Vietnamese history(,according to my friend one of the largest they ever had( and I think for that reason it would sell best in Vietnam. However, there are some published sources out there (NOT WIKIPEDIA!!) that have coverage of this battle. while artwork,3d maps, and 96 pages might be hard to do, I do not think it is completely impossible. Souces As I mentioned, sources like books on Vietnamese military history and 18th century Vietnam provide references to this battle. So, sources are not the largest issue. Would it sell? Here is the major issue with a campaign book about this battle, I am not sure it would be a good seller. alas, that reason alone is why this important battle may never get coverage. but, there is always hope, so you never know. So,what do you think? do you think it would sell well and would you personally purchase this volume? Please share all opinons with me. but there is much else out there: the 1788-1789 Chinese invasions,the Translvanian rebellion at the same tiem,Vietnam war,and ... Mon Dieu,I better stop before I end up with a huge list.
Posted on: 06/04/2013 05:26:00

Items 1 to 20 of 30 total     Sort:  Newest Oldest

per page
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
Total Posts: 7
Joined Date: Monday, 22 October 2012
I hope Osprey will eventually block or ban your IP address somehow. Then they can publish a Campaign volume entitled "Osprey Forum 2012-2013: The Final Defeat of MrHistory." I'd buy it for the artwork.
Posted on: 06/04/2013 05:27:00
Posted by: Thenadiert1815
Total Posts: 5
Joined Date: Saturday, 6 April 2013
Sorry about the typos at the bottom,I did not have time to finish before my computer submitted it. also sorry about the sections being crushed together,I did not see that one coming. Sorry!
Posted on: 06/04/2013 05:28:00
Posted by: shado10
Total Posts: 3
Joined Date: Sunday, 14 December 2014
This is not a something I am familiar with, could you name the books and authors you say provide sources on this battle? And if other written sources have covered this battle, why do you think Osprey should cover it as well? What new info could they add to the already published sources? Remember, Osprey has no remit to cover everything featured on Wikipedia!
Posted on: 06/04/2013 12:13:00
Posted by: xeneize
Total Posts: 75
Joined Date: Friday, 18 January 2013
Sound as a good topic, are others examples of vietnamese patriots routing invaders armies, Tran Hung Dao defeated three Mongol invasions in 1257, 1284 and 1287 were three hundred thousands force was routed. Le Hoi routed the chinese army from Vietnam in 1427 whit the vietnamese mark: first intense guerrilla war and a conventional offensive to destroy the enemy army, was the last time than China attemp the conquest of Vietnam
Posted on: 06/04/2013 13:12:00
Posted by: wardog
Joined Date: Thursday, 14 July 2011
Definately it would sell. A LOT of people out here want to read about what we don't know. Battles/wars that get little or no press. We want to learn new things. Especially when the battle/war has impact down the road on future conflicts. Its nice to be able to trace actions down thru time.
Posted on: 06/04/2013 14:39:00
Posted by: shado10
Joined Date: Sunday, 14 December 2014
It may well be that people would like to read about these battles whcih makes it more the pity that the original poster doesn't tell us where he gets his info from (all from his Vietnamese friend?), he says there are sources but won't name them.
Posted on: 06/04/2013 15:10:00
Posted by: Nick Hunter
Total Posts: 55
Joined Date: Wednesday, 8 May 2013
I think you've got the wrong forum, though - this isn't what anybody would commonly mean when using the phrase "Vietnam war". Using the wrong forum means that people interested in that time period won't find it, and people intersted in the Vietnam War are likely to regard it as mis-posted
Posted on: 06/04/2013 18:39:00
ospreyfan...yes, the prose style is relatively distinctive, and you are probably right. However (apart from the little fairy tale at the start), it's not an inherently stupid post. May I suggest giving him the benefit of the doubt, provided he continues to post reasonably?
Posted on: 06/04/2013 19:10:00
Posted by: ospreyfan1
Total Posts: 7
Joined Date: Monday, 22 October 2012
Nick Hunter- Fair enough, though I suspect he will create new aliases and run out of viable topics soon...
Posted on: 06/04/2013 20:39:00
me, too.....but it's not really fair to judge on what we suspect will happen. If he plays nice, or at least reasonably nice, he should get the same courtesies as everyone else.
Posted on: 06/04/2013 21:12:00
The spam of Mrhistory is like the flu, can be contained but will not despear!!
Posted on: 06/04/2013 23:41:00
wow,you really hunt everybody like a witch. the moment someone new arrives on the forum,you automatically assume they are this mrhistory person and never give them to make sensible posts. shame on all of you!
Posted on: 07/04/2013 00:12:00
I forgot to add in the word time at the end of my post, I am sorry, being accused of being that spammer pissed me off so much I forgot to add in time at the bottom, sorry.
Posted on: 07/04/2013 00:17:00
pretty inaccurate,Xenize,the Chinese also invaded Vietnam in 1789. nobody hesitates to accuse me of being mrhistory,who makes crappy posts,spams,and had dumb ideas,yet I know more about history that the majority of you who hunt me like a witch.
Posted on: 07/04/2013 00:20:00
A fairy tale!!!!!!!!!???? keyboard warriors, go tell that my friend. He is a awesome guy who knows how to beat the hell out of suckers. How DARE anyone go say that my friendship with him is a fairy tale!? do I tell you whose friends you have are hoaxes or valid? Please give me some respect and do the same.
Posted on: 07/04/2013 00:27:00
The Mrhistory knowledge of history is beyond doubt, the problem is the senseless spam, your four responses in a few minutes are not helping.
Posted on: 07/04/2013 00:34:00
Posted by: MTG
Total Posts: 30
Joined Date: Wednesday, 21 December 2011
How ironic that you use the term respect.
Posted on: 07/04/2013 01:33:00
Posted by: Railok
Total Posts: 19
Joined Date: Monday, 8 October 2012
Just cut the theatrics, MrHistory. You ask for respect yet you have done nothing to earn it. In particular, posing as a man holding a PhD (Tula Sultan, was it?) is showing an incredible disrespect towards those in academia who struggle for years to complete their dissertations. Your arguments to your defence are pitiful as well. Seeing yourself as superior to everyone else is not something a grown man should do. Also, "He is a awesome guy who knows how to beat the hell out of suckers." - are you genuinely threatening with violence from a fictional man? Are you so blind to your own posts, MrHistory, that you're starting to believe in these personas you've created for yourself? Can't you see that no matter how much you try to act as an adult, we can still see patterns that are exclusively yours? For example, this thing of mentioning restaurants that serve foreign cuisine or obscure Asian history. Or perhaps the most telling sign of them all: The constant references to Wikipedia (often in the same sentence as possible sources). References that only you do in a very specific way. Not to mention all the accounts you've created - and for what? Seriously, for what?
Posted on: 07/04/2013 04:02:00
Railok. you are rigth, the problem is the spam of senseless and unknow wars and conflicts, i have serious debate for some of my topics, specially Irregular Forces(Taliban, Hezbollah etc.), but are know forces and this is my point: open a debate, not show my "Top knowledge" as ... well "The Thing"
Posted on: 07/04/2013 04:45:00
QUIT CALLING MY FRIEND FICTIONAL AND EVERYONE SHUT THE $#%@ up.
Posted on: 08/04/2013 00:53:00

Items 1 to 20 of 30 total     Sort:  Newest Oldest

per page
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2