Forum

You have 0 bookmarked item(s)
Viewing Topic "Operation Exporter: Allied Invasion of Vichy Syria and Lebanon 1941"
  Topic Description
Posted by: KenA
Posted on: 05/07/2015 13:13:20

6 Item(s)     Sort:  Newest Oldest

per page

Total Posts: 117
Joined Date: Tuesday, 15 October 2013

Those of you like me who have been waiting for years in vain for Osprey to produce a Campaign book on Syria 1941 about Operation Exporter might find of interest a book that is coming out late this year.  It is “Invasion Syria 1941: Churchill and de Gaulle’s Forgotten War” (hardback) written by French military historian Henri de Wailly.  It has been translated into English (by an Australian)!

The book is to be around 544 pages, with 8 pages of black and white photo plates and 2 maps.  The proposed contents can be found on The Book Depository web site.  Given the information available, this book looks promising and could provide a reasonable amount of detailed information on the lead up to the invasion and on the campaign itself (though not the detailed maps, illustrations and the abundant photos we get from Osprey publications).

Relevant links are:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Invasion-Syria-1941-Churchill-Forgotten/dp/1784534498/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1436094724&sr=1-1&keywords=9781784534493

http://www.bookdepository.com/Invasion-Syria-1941-Henri-De-Wailly/9781784534493?selectCurrency=GBP

I am particularly interested in this book because it covers a conflict where Frenchmen came up against Frenchmen and all sorts of problems ensued.  How a French historian deals with this subject now I find intriguing.  I just wish that Osprey had more enterprise and initiative to tackle subjects like this.

Posted on: 05/07/2015 13:13:21
Posted by: Paintybeard
Total Posts: 347
Joined Date: Monday, 4 February 2013

Thanks for the link KenA. Got to admit that I shall probably be borrowing this from the library rather than actually buying a copy. Just not enough room on my shelves.

Posted on: 05/07/2015 14:53:59
Posted by: kuvaszsleepybear
Total Posts: 290
Joined Date: Wednesday, 7 August 2013

Need "Ospreys" on Operation Torch,Madagasgar,Dakar,Surcouf Ops,French Army in Italy,in Germany,

Posted on: 05/07/2015 23:00:04
Posted by: kuvaszsleepybear
Total Posts: 290
Joined Date: Wednesday, 7 August 2013

https://www.warhistoryonline.com/war-articles/winston-churchill-feared-invasion-france-world-war-ii.html

Posted on: 06/07/2015 03:51:08
Posted by: Paintybeard
Total Posts: 347
Joined Date: Monday, 4 February 2013

I would very much like a "Raid" title on the Dakar operation. Although it is very much an example of how NOT to do things.

Posted on: 06/07/2015 10:48:12
Posted by: KenA
Total Posts: 117
Joined Date: Tuesday, 15 October 2013

Hmmm.  I’m not so sure that I would call the Dakar operation a raid.  All told it was a fairly long drawn out business when everything is taken into account (the lead up, the trip out from the UK, the passage of the French cruisers past Gibraltar, the trip of some British vessels down to Freetown and back to Dakar, heading off French cruisers from Central Africa, Anglo-French relations on board ships in the form of sorting out General de Gaulle, the action off Dakar itself and the aftermath in the form of the Dudley North affair).

No, I don’t think it was a raid.  Probably not even a campaign.  More likely it was a saga.  The thing is, Osprey doesn’t have books called sagas so a Campaign title would have to do.  And let’s face it, the forces set out as though it was a campaign.

The thing with Operation Menace (Dakar) was that it was entirely politically driven right from the start by Churchill (he never learnt did he?) and to a lesser extent de Gaulle.  To compound things, the intelligence that was used to base their decisions on was extremely out of date and/or patently wrong.  Security for the operation was virtually non-existent.  Where do you stop?  You’ve got it right on Painty - the whole thing was a prime example of how not to do it.

There have been quite a number of books that have covered briefly the Dakar expedition amongst other things.  Only two books (of substance) that I know of have focussed solely on this operation.  They are “The Guns of Dakar” by John Williams and “Operation ‘Menace’: The Dakar Expedition and the Dudley North Affair” by Arthur Marder.  Both are good but are now rather dated.  The book “A Matter of Expediency: The Jettison of Admiral Sir Dudley North” by Charlotte and Denis Plimmer (also rather dated) examines the Dudley North affair in the light of the passage of the French cruisers and his stance on the Royal Navy’s attack on the French fleet at Mers-el-Kebir on 3 July 1940.  First Lord of the Admiralty, Dudley Pound, was far from amused by North.  The Plimmers’ book is probably one for the real enthusiast and/or conspiracy theorist.

So yes, an Osprey book (Campaign title) taking a fresh look at the Dakar expedition, the Battle of Dakar of September 1940, the passage of the French cruisers and the Dudley North affair would be most appropriate and welcome.

Posted on: 06/07/2015 13:22:10

6 Item(s)     Sort:  Newest Oldest

per page