Forum

You have 0 bookmarked item(s)
Viewing Topic "January 2017 Releases Revealed!!!"
  Topic Description
Posted by: AdamC New Releases on Amazon!!!
Posted on: 26/04/2016 08:43:16

8 Item(s)     Sort:  Newest Oldest

per page

Total Posts: 228
Joined Date: Thursday, 22 January 2009

Morning folks! 

The Osprey releases for January 2017 are out!!!

We can look forward to;

Lake Trasimeme 217 BC (CAM)

Colt Single Action Army (Weapon)

Panzergrenadier Vs US Armored Infantryman: ETO 1944 (Combat)

Vietnam War US & Allied Combat Equipment (Elite)

Soviet Cold War Guided Missile Cruisers (NVG)

Company Of Heroes: A Forgotten Medal of Honor and Bravo Company’s War in Vietnam (GM)

The Pikeman’s Lament: Pike and Shot Wargaming Rules (WG)   

You can put me down for the Lake Trasimeme title there. What does everybody else think???

Posted on: 26/04/2016 08:43:17
Posted by: ASM
Total Posts: 21
Joined Date: Wednesday, 4 August 2010
Actually the first 4 months are out on Amazon.ca!
Posted on: 26/04/2016 09:20:01

From the January lineup Colts is a book I have really been looking forward to! I will take that right away of course. The same applies for the Soviet missile cruisers. Very very interesting addition for me.  

Posted on: 26/04/2016 10:23:17
Posted by: AdamC
Total Posts: 228
Joined Date: Thursday, 22 January 2009

You are quite right ASM!!! Our Canadian cousins have got the drop on us!!! I missed that!!!

February 

Spitfire II/V Vs Bf 109F (Duel)

JG 53 'Pik-As' Bf 109 Aces of 1940 (Ace)

Darwin 1942: The Japanese Attack on Australia (CAM I assume)

New Zealand Infantryman Vs German Motorcycle Solider: Med 1941 (Combat)

Concorde (GM)

The Modern Russian Army 1992-2016 (MAA??? Elite???)

FN Minimi (Weapon)

Imperial Roman Warships 193-565 AD (NVG)

South African Armour of The Boarder War 1975-89 (NVG)

With Their Bare Hands: The AEF, the 79th Division, and the Battle for Montfaucon (GM)

March

Ju 88 Aces (Ace)

Kursk 1943: Southern Front (CAM)

Panzer 38(t) Vs BT-7: 1941 (Duel)

Dutch Armies of the 80 years war 1568-1648 I Infantry (MAA)

Early American Armour (I) 1917-1940 (NVG)

The LRDG in WWII (GM)

The Suomi submachine Gun (Weapon)

April

British Destroyers 1939-45 (I) Pre-War Classes (NVG)

Luzon 1945 (CAM)

B5N 'Kate & B6N 'Jill' Units (Combat Aircraft)

WWII German Motorized Infantry & Panzergrenadiers (MAA??? Elite???)

Lancaster (GM)

PS. If anybody at Osprey is reading I've stupidly put this post in the wrong section of the forum. Please could it be moved to the General - Military History section? Cheers!

Posted on: 26/04/2016 13:01:51
The two MAA/ELI titles you point out seems to be Elite which leaves us with 3 ELI, 1 MAA and 0 WAR for the periode...
Posted on: 26/04/2016 13:20:20

Regarding WPN, it is very encouraging to see three new titles so early in the year. I have already mentioned Colts but also the Minimi title will be on my immediate purchase list. I am a bit surprised to see it materialize before the FN MAG but it has, I guess, a clearer "US angle"... However, the Suomi book actually excites me the most. It is, in my view, the first real niche title in the series and I even carried one of these SMG’s (license produced in Sweden though) for a short period in the Danish Home Guard (just before the turn of the century (the last one)) after the end of my more active service years. A nice surprise to see it listed.

Turning to NVG it is thrilling to see the Soviet missile cruiser book coming up. The odd South African armour title will also make appearance on my list I guess as this series is becoming more and more unpredictable - for both good and bad...

Concerning aircraft, the B5N/B6N offering might be a future one for me.

Finally, I look forward to the Russian Army book. I simply love books with actuality and Elite is often the series to provide them to me!

Posted on: 26/04/2016 19:11:15
Top Edit  Delete

Posted on: 26/04/2016 19:21:12
Posted by: KenA
Total Posts: 97
Joined Date: Tuesday, 15 October 2013

Pretty much standard fare here isn’t?  You would hardly call any of these titles adventurous.  All safe stuff.  WWII Campaign titles focussing again on the Eastern Front and the Pacific.  Ho-hum.  There’s plenty there for our US friends as they recover from election fatigue.  Do I notice though only one WWI title (with two titles - “Early American Armor (1) 1917-1940” and “British Destroyers 1939-45 (1) Pre-War Classes” - having perhaps some WWI content)?  From this offering on-one would think that there are various celebrations/commemorations going on relating to the centenary of various battles etc. of WWI.  Was it all a bad dream or are we waiting until after 6 April 2017, the anniversary of when the US agreed to enter the war?

Let’s hope that the two long postponed aviation Duel titles (Nos. 67 and 68), now scheduled for February and May 2017, actually get published on time and not be deferred again.  The Combat title “New Zealand Infantryman vs German Motorcycle Soldier: Mediterranean 1941” looks promising with David Greentree as author.

I welcome the GNM title on The Long Range Desert Group.  It is overdue and will complement the other Osprey titles on Special Forces (SAS, SBS, Seals, etc.).  I just have a couple of reservations.  I hope that the author, Gavin Mortimer, brings new material to this book and that it is not simply a disguised version of his 2015 book “The Men Who Made the SAS”.  However, with the book being only 256 pages I’m afraid that the author will be left with little choice but to ‘gloss over’ many of the interesting details of the LRDG’s operations and actions.  Finally, whilst on this subject, might I suggest to Osprey and the author that photos for this book be sought from private sources (UK, SA and NZ) as the limited photos available from public sources such as libraries, museums, etc. have been fairly well picked over through the years and are now pretty familiar to readers.

Lastly, I turn to Osprey’s naval NVG titles.  I have, by and large, enjoyed the work of Mark Stille and Ryan Noppen who have produced naval NVG titles of recent times for warships of various countries (excluding Britain).  I have found their naval titles to be relevant, informative and easy to read.  There were times when Mark tried to fit too much under the one cover but more recently this has not been so much of a problem.  The research and writing of both authors has been fine as far as I’m concerned within the constraints of the 48 pages.

However, this situation contrasts markedly with that for Osprey’s naval NVG titles for British warships.  Something seems to have gone wrong.  The balance within each title is starting to go (check the size of the background section), the research doesn’t seem to be the same (check the bibliographies), the text doesn’t seem to be as tight, relevant and informative (check how pertinent the text is to the title and look for padding), operational histories are scanty at best yet these are sections in which most readers are very interested, notable omissions have started to appear (lack of adequate research?) and so on.  The same author seems to be utilised by Osprey for all naval NVG titles on British warships in recent times and I see that he is again down to do “British Destroyers 1939-45 (1): Pre-war Classes”.  Is he getting a bit stale and needing a change?  In any event, I suggest that it is essential that Osprey open up the authorship of its British naval titles to more than just one person for the benefit of everyone, the present author included.

Posted on: 28/04/2016 14:39:17
Posted by: Tarawa90
Total Posts: 59
Joined Date: Wednesday, 8 August 2012

There's some interesting titles here, I've added quite a few to my want list, but nothing is really standing out for me.  Darwin is an interesting choice, but wouldn't it have been more appropriate for RAID?  Speaking of RAID, is it still on "hiatus"?  Or is it dead now too?  Same with Command, Air Vanguard, and Myths and Legends, are they completely dead?

Posted on: 29/04/2016 00:37:36

8 Item(s)     Sort:  Newest Oldest

per page