United Kingdom
Advanced search
Osprey will be working from home from Tuesday 17th March. We plan to continue all our operations, while reducing risk of infection by having staff work from home. Please note that we are doing our best to manage incoming post and parcels. For the time being please refrain from sending items to our offices and please assume that items that you have sent to us, have not arrived with their intended recipient. Our priority remains the wellbeing of staff, authors, customers, freelancers, suppliers and distributors. We would like to thank all for their support whilst we transition to virtual operations.

Forum

You have 0 bookmarked item(s)
Viewing Topic "Ia Drang 1965"
  Topic Description
Posted by: Blood Rave I'm going to argue a case for this battle to covered my Osprey. Battle location: Central Highlands, Vietnam Date: November 1965 It was the first battle fought fought between the US army and NVA, it introduced the concept of air cavalry. 395 US soldiers trapped in a hot LZ for 3 days against overwhelming NVA numbers and they still won, their commander was Col Hal Moore who was one of the best combat leaders of the Vietnam war. It also set the pattern for the US search and Destroy campaign in Vietnam.
Posted on: 23/04/2013 13:48:00

Items 1 to 20 of 21 total     Sort:  Newest Oldest

per page
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
Total Posts: 55
Joined Date: Wednesday, 8 May 2013
Ok, but I think the case that has to be made is what is gained by osprey covering this action? It's already covered by a significant number of (non osprey) books, most still in print, so we won't get anything new about the action. The troops, equipment and tactics have already been covered in multiple, overlapping vietnam-era ospreys. (I think this is a problem of many of the "campaign" series, not just the one you propose, but the problem is particularly acute in this case)
Posted on: 23/04/2013 14:42:00
Posted by: Blood Rave
Total Posts: 18
Joined Date: Friday, 10 May 2013
It was the US army's baptism of fire in Vietnam, it set the pattern of all modern battles in the use of helicopters as a way of moving troops across the battlefield, helicopters had been used in Korea, before Ia drang, air cavalry was a theory, it's successful results changed the way wars were fought.
Posted on: 23/04/2013 14:48:00
Posted by: Railok
Total Posts: 19
Joined Date: Monday, 8 October 2012
That's absolutely ridiculous. Moving troops in the battlefield in helicopters were pioneered by the French during the Algerian War.
Posted on: 23/04/2013 14:51:00
It's also been years since the last Vietnam campaign title, which was a very good read, my suggestion covers a major gap in the campaign coverage of Vietnam.
Posted on: 23/04/2013 14:53:00
I stand corrected, I forgot about the French
Posted on: 23/04/2013 14:56:00
Posted by: tarawa90
Total Posts: 88
Joined Date: Wednesday, 8 August 2012
I argued for this a few weeks back. Vietnam is severely neglected when it comes to campaign books.
Posted on: 23/04/2013 15:04:00
Posted by: Nick Hunter
Again, the gap exists only if you assume that osprey is the only publisher in the world. (This seems to be a perennial problem - thee re often requests for coverage of things like the FBI, which are already extensively covered) The question is "What will doing this as an osprey campaign do that is not already done by one of the numerous books on the action that already exist?"
Posted on: 23/04/2013 15:06:00
Tarawa - I'd question why osprey publishes campaigns at all, in many cases. Like the "Essential history" series, it's not reasy to see what they bring to the party that isn't already covered by other books. With some honourable exceptions, most of the WW2 campaigns, for example, give you nothing that the existing literature doesn't.
Posted on: 23/04/2013 15:09:00
Posted by: tarawa90
Total Posts: 88
Joined Date: Wednesday, 8 August 2012
We're not talking other books, we're talking Osprey. Just about everything out there has been covered already by somebody somewhere, that's not what we're discussing here. This is a gap in the Osprey collection, not the historical record. If it came down to gaps in the historical record Osprey wouldn't exist! What we're lobbying for is that this battle be added to the collection.
Posted on: 23/04/2013 19:27:00
Posted by: GI Gene
Total Posts: 75
Joined Date: Saturday, 7 February 2009
Although this battle has been covered in other publications, some readers just want it depicted "The Osprey Way" with its eye catching artwork.
Posted on: 23/04/2013 20:53:00
Posted by: Toussaint Louverture
Total Posts: 7
Joined Date: Wednesday, 17 April 2013
What a great idea! I have seen the Mel Gibson movie about the battle.
Posted on: 23/04/2013 20:54:00
Posted by: xeneize
Total Posts: 75
Joined Date: Friday, 18 January 2013
Must be complete, in the LZ Albany, a battallon of 1rst cavalry was ambushed by the 66 NVA regiment and destroyed. of 400 soldiers, 155 KIA and 124 WIA, the NVA officer was Nguyen Huu An, in 1975, after tank warfare training in the URSS, play a decisive partr in the fall of South Vietnam.
Posted on: 23/04/2013 22:10:00
Posted by: MTG
Total Posts: 30
Joined Date: Wednesday, 21 December 2011
Nick I'm with GI Gene on this one. I like and enjoy Osprey's style of presenting military history. I think Osprey do great work at covering topics that other publishers would deem 'too obscure' but I think their approach to military history is unique enough to publish titles on topics that are already well covered elsewhere. After all the biggest consideration simply has to be will it sell. I do enjoy more detailed, comprehensive dare I say traditional history books but the sad truth of the matter is that these days I struggle to make the time to read them. Due mostly to the format in which they are presented (along with condensed information) that does not apply to Osprey titles. I must confess that although I am on balance more interested in the written analysis I am a fan (sorry M. Daniels I couldn't think of another suitable word!) of Osprey's artwork which I think makes these publications stand out from competitors. I must also admit to having a collectors tendancy. I do enjoy seeing my Osprey collection grow and how this reflects the topics Im currently interested in. Owning a range of titles set within the context of the Vietnam War I would certainly consider purchasing a Campaign title on Ia Drang 1965. If this has already been significantly covered under the Airmobile tactics title (which I don't yet own) then mayby its not necessary but I've personally just come to accept inevitable overlap between series. At least the advantage of still having a high store bookshop is you can leaf through the various books to see how similar content is before you buy! My last point is a good percentage of my Osprey titles have been written by Gordon L. Rottman. If his name is on the spine then I know thats a book I will find informative and engaging. As Ia Drang is the Vietnam War one of Mr Rottman's fortes I'd suggest he's the man to write it!
Posted on: 25/04/2013 01:28:00
MTG - that's fair enough, and there does seem to be a consensus that people would buy it even if it is already covered elsewhere. I probably wouldn't buy it (I have several other sources on the action already and I doubt it would add much to those), but not everyone does. I also don't have much of a "collector thing" going with ospreys. I own a ridiculously large number, but I'm generally interested in getting hold of the data, rather than the format it arrives in, so I wouldn't tend to buy (for example) the raid series if I already had a book on the action.
Posted on: 25/04/2013 09:22:00
Posted by: Amaral
Total Posts: 200
Joined Date: Friday, 8 March 2013
Ok, but I think the case that has to be made is what is gained by osprey covering this action? What about the ARVN paratroopers and rangers in this battle? We don't see nothing about them in American publishings.
Posted on: 29/04/2013 22:01:00
I'm not aware that any ARVN forces were committed in this battle, if we are talking simply about the three-day action fought by Hal Moore's force. (Note the careful phrasing - if such forces were involved, I'd be interested in hearing about it) Or are you expanding the scope to more than that particular action?
Posted on: 30/04/2013 20:52:00
Posted by: Amaral
Total Posts: 200
Joined Date: Friday, 8 March 2013
This one: "The Ia Drang Valley Battle that is well known was the one conducted by units of the US 1st Cavalry Division that unfolded from November 14 to November 17, 1965. The other less well know Ia Drang Valley Battle followed the footsteps of that battle and unfolded from November 18 to November 26, 1965; units of the ARVN Airborne Brigade conducted this battle. For the sake of simplification, the first will be called the US Ia Drang Valley Battle, and the second, the ARVN Ia Drang Valley Battle." http://www.generalhieu.com/iadrang_arvn-2.htm
Posted on: 01/05/2013 06:07:00
Then that element can certainly do with more coverage than it has recieved.
Posted on: 01/05/2013 09:12:00
Posted by: 1781
Total Posts:
Joined Date: Wednesday, 8 July 2020
If I am correct, was the 7th Calvary involved?
Posted on: 06/05/2013 15:00:00
They were
Posted on: 10/05/2013 12:40:00

Items 1 to 20 of 21 total     Sort:  Newest Oldest

per page
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2