United Kingdom
Advanced search
Osprey will be working from home from Tuesday 17th March. We plan to continue all our operations, while reducing risk of infection by having staff work from home. Please note that we are doing our best to manage incoming post and parcels. For the time being please refrain from sending items to our offices and please assume that items that you have sent to us, have not arrived with their intended recipient. Our priority remains the wellbeing of staff, authors, customers, freelancers, suppliers and distributors. We would like to thank all for their support whilst we transition to virtual operations.

Forum

You have 0 bookmarked item(s)
Viewing Topic "french GM100 in Central Highlands"
  Topic Description
Posted by: xeneize From january to July of 1954 the GM100, including the famous "Korean battallon" figth a continuos campaign btween Kontum, Pleiku and An Khe, against the Viet Minh 803 and 108 regiments, the GM was destroyed days before the ceasefire. Will be a great book!!. The great irony is then last survivors of the GM100 arrived to Ban Ma Thuot, twenty one years after, the end of South vietnam will began here!!
Posted on: 28/03/2013 00:27:00

11 Item(s)     Sort:  Newest Oldest

per page

Total Posts: 55
Joined Date: Wednesday, 8 May 2013
Sounds an interesting topic. Which of the osprey series did you see it fitting into?
Posted on: 28/03/2013 08:21:00
Posted by: xeneize
Total Posts: 75
Joined Date: Friday, 18 January 2013
Can be a Campaign book, but is not unfit for Raid, both forces hunted the enemy in "hit and run" battles for months, was a succesion of raids!!.
Posted on: 28/03/2013 10:32:00
Posted by: AdamC
Total Posts: 276
Joined Date: Thursday, 22 January 2009
If I were Osprey I’d put out the oft requested Dien Bien Phu as a Campaign title first to test the water commercially. If there is an interest then a title like the one you suggest could be a goer but I’d probably go RAID for this one rather than Campaign.
Posted on: 28/03/2013 13:04:00
Adam. I think than RAID is the best choice, the battle was a sucession of raids and ambushes for both sides along all Central highlands.
Posted on: 28/03/2013 13:09:00
Why Dien Bien Phu is not a Campaign book is out of undertanding for me.
Posted on: 28/03/2013 13:11:00
Posted by: Nick Hunter
Indeed. It should hit all the markers - it's an interesting battle in itself, and should really pick up US interest as a "vietnam - the prequel" deal. I'd certainly buy it, and I'm not generally big on the campaign series
Posted on: 28/03/2013 17:04:00
Posted by: Amaral
Total Posts: 200
Joined Date: Friday, 8 March 2013
The GM 100 only representation in the American world is the very poorly conducted beginning of the movie "We Were Soldiers". They have the wrong uniforms, the wrong berets, the berets are at the wrong side, the soldiers in the jeep have white kepis like legionnaires and they are walking. In reality, they were a mechanized unit as every other Groupe Mobile. Osprey should think about a MAA on the Groupe Mobile concept alone. The GM 100 was an elite unit, very well trained and comparable to FFL equivalents. The Viet Minh reported they as FFL at first, because they had a higher proportion of Europeans. And the "hardcore" personnel were veterans of the French Korean Battalion. This battalion received 3 Presidential Unit Citations and also deserve some coverage. The American author Stanley Sandler said they were the best unit in the UN forces fighting in Korea. They were the first to reach Heartbreak Ridge summit. Many French soldiers accepted lower ranks to be able to fit in the battailon structure. Even the commanding officer, General Magrin-Vernerey (Monclar) accepted to be "demoted" to Lt. Colonel to command the unit. He commanded the 13e DBLE in WWII and that's why he changed his name to Monclar. The French were very fond of the bayonnet, and made use of their typical "élan" and knowledge of the psychology of battle. The commander of the 23rd Infantry Regiment, US 2nd Infantry Division said of the French Contingent: “When you order them [the French] in defence, you're sure they'll hold the position. When you show them a hill to be seized, you're sure they'll manage to get atop. You may leave for two days, storms of shells and waves of enemies may swarm over them, the French are still there!" When in Indochina, the unit received extensive trainning before going out in the field. This was a particular exception, because the other units received "on the job" training. The "native" (Cambodians) cradles were also high quality and the unit could be proud of itself and had good cohesion. The GMs and GB (Groupe Blindé) were always on the move, and the GB often covered more combat mileage in a week than a similar unit would cover n Korea in six months. The Americans failed to apreciate the usefulness of armor in Vietnam. The South Vietnamese that started showing how to use tanks AFVs until Gen. Abrams, a cavalryman, assumed command.
Posted on: 02/04/2013 07:33:00
Posted by: Nick Hunter
I'd probably suggest one on the Dinassault riverine units, too.....
Posted on: 02/04/2013 09:37:00
Amaral. Don't expect than the americans to give a rigth image of frenchs in Vietnam, when most US forces images are incorrect. The GM100 was a elite unit, but at the end was destroyed, the Viet Minh there was elite too armed even whit, at the time, first class M20 superbazookas
Posted on: 02/04/2013 22:58:00
Posted by: Amaral
Total Posts: 200
Joined Date: Friday, 8 March 2013
Nick Hunter I also suggested that a couple of times. Bernard Fall estates that it was one of the few useful lessons to the military knowledge.
Posted on: 03/04/2013 02:28:00
Posted by: Pompeius Minus
Total Posts: 6
Joined Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2013
Amaral's post really whetted my appetite for this. Maybe you could call it "French armour in the colonial wars" to include Algeria, or do a "French COIN tactics" title to cover the innovative helo assault tactics used in Algeria as well? (Another equally deserving but perhaps also equally un-PC subject is South African and Rhodesian bush war tactics, where they pioneered the V-hull concept among other things.)
Posted on: 31/05/2013 15:09:00

11 Item(s)     Sort:  Newest Oldest

per page