Forum

You have 0 bookmarked item(s)
Viewing Topic "DUEL ME 262 Vs Spitfire XIV (the Griffon engined)"
  Topic Description
Posted by: DAZ REICH I was looking at one of my old paintings which depicts a Griffon engined Spitfire shooting down a Messerschmitt 262 jet fighter and thought this would make a good Duel title, totally going against my 'oh not another spitfire Duel' PMSL.
Posted on: 04/08/2013 18:48:00

3 Item(s)     Sort:  Newest Oldest

per page

Total Posts: 8
Joined Date: Saturday, 12 February 2011
I have a bit of an irrational bias against Griffon-engined Spitfires, just because I think they represent an act of brutal, jarring vandalism on an aesthetically perfect airframe (see also clipped wings and teardrop canopies). That said, I probably would buy this- though again I'd suggest the Tempest rather than the Spit. Not only would it be another new type for Duel, but the Tempest was apparently the 262 pilot's number one fear.
Posted on: 04/08/2013 20:38:00
Posted by: DAZ REICH
Total Posts: 69
Joined Date: Monday, 25 February 2013
Hmm thats a good idea too, I picked the griffon spitfire because the print I have depicts a combat that actually happened, so knew it was a possible Duel.
Posted on: 04/08/2013 22:14:00
Posted by: BobG
Total Posts: 8
Joined Date: Saturday, 12 February 2011
If it really came to it, I think I'd prefer to put the Tempest up against the 190D as per my suggestion in the Spit V-Macchi 202 thread- just because they're a closer match and there's plenty of actual combat. With the Tempest and Spit (both IX and XIV) what you have are incidents where they go all out to catch the 262 and it either avoids them or doesn't- the jet pilot is trying to get away from his pursuer so he can carry out his mission (probably bombing or attacking US bomber formations). He doesn't want to fight in this instance, because he knows if he tries he'll be out-turned. I wonder if the best opponent for the 262 might be the P-51, just in terms of how much combat you'd get? With the jet fighting to get at the bombers and the Mustang fighting to defend them? Strange as it may seem, there's only been one Duel title to date featuring the premier US fighter of WW2.
Posted on: 04/08/2013 23:31:00

3 Item(s)     Sort:  Newest Oldest

per page