United Kingdom
Advanced search
Osprey will be working from home from Tuesday 17th March. We plan to continue all our operations, while reducing risk of infection by having staff work from home. Please note that we are doing our best to manage incoming post and parcels. For the time being please refrain from sending items to our offices and please assume that items that you have sent to us, have not arrived with their intended recipient. Our priority remains the wellbeing of staff, authors, customers, freelancers, suppliers and distributors. We would like to thank all for their support whilst we transition to virtual operations.

Forum

You have 0 bookmarked item(s)
Viewing Topic "Did Vienna 1683 flop?"
  Topic Description
Posted by: mdaniels Contemplating Osprey's abandonment of the 17th Century, I wonder whether the Campaign title 'Vienna 1683' was the tipping point?

It was rushed out after the title stormed an (old-style) book vote (something like 70%, if I remember) but since then Osprey have utterly neglected the period.

This leave me asking: did Vienna 1683 sell really badly? Does anyone know?
Posted on: 28/08/2014 17:32:00

10 Item(s)     Sort:  Newest Oldest

per page

Total Posts: 88
Joined Date: Wednesday, 8 August 2012
I wouldn't be surprised, after all it's in the "Black Hole Period". Though it is a pivotal battle for the fate of Europe, it's largely forgotten and therefore not very popular. You'll note that the only other CAM title from the 1600s since the format change is Ireland 1649-52, which was likely done because anything about Ireland is a sure fire bestseller on both sides of the pond.
Posted on: 28/08/2014 19:03:00
Posted by: hobbe62
Total Posts: 66
Joined Date: Thursday, 6 October 2011
When I bought my copy in August last year it cost £8.24. At that time it was included on the Discount store page. Only Osprey can tell why. Maybe it didn’t sell well enough so they emptied their own stock from 2008 or just wanted to boost weak sales. Now it is probably available as a POD and they can charge us the normal price (£14.99).
Posted on: 28/08/2014 19:21:00
Posted by: Hugo Rodrigues
Total Posts: 5
Joined Date: Monday, 13 December 2010
Don't know how it did commercially, but as a book it was a failure. It barely qualified as military history, with very little military detail and maps that just weren't up to Osprey's standards.
Posted on: 28/08/2014 21:37:00
Posted by: Rebel
Total Posts: 2
Joined Date: Wednesday, 18 January 2017
@ mdaniels/hugo rodrigues, I don't have a copy but from your comments assume that you wouldn't recommend....

@ Tarawa80. Could you clarify what you mean by "format change". Agree with you that the late 17th/early & mid 18th centuries may seem neglected, but we are looking at what 4,000 years of military history and in the final analysis Osprey can't produce the books if they don't have the authors.

- Cheers
Posted on: 29/08/2014 09:53:00
Posted by: mdaniels
Total Posts: 36
Joined Date: Monday, 14 May 2012
Rebel

Personally I enjoyed the Vienna title but, given Hugo's vehement dislike of it, would hesitate to recommend to anyone else. It might depend on how much you already know about the campaign.

I know that Osprey potentially cover '4000 years of military history' but they (and the world, it seems) appear to think that 6 of those years far outway the other 3,994! I can't believe they couldn't find authors for the English Civel War and Sedgemoor, at least.
Posted on: 29/08/2014 10:20:00
@mdaniels - Thanks your note. I too would love to see more i the period, my own areas of interest being basically 1660 through to 1743. And to be honest I could never disagree with your comment on the weight of those six years in comparison to the remaining three thousand or so - Ramillies is out soon so we should live in hope.

Ref Vienna my I obviously have Wheatcroft and Stoye, but there is always the lure of Peter Dennis' artwork......

All best.
Posted on: 29/08/2014 12:11:00
Posted by: mdaniels
Total Posts: 36
Joined Date: Monday, 14 May 2012
rebel

tarawa90's reference to format change is simply a relatively minor change in the cover format and title fonts. The standard internal format was already established by that time.

If your area of special interest is 1660-1743 then you will, alas, need to be very patient - there have only ever been two Campaign titles in that date range (The Boyne 1690 and Poltava 1709).
Posted on: 29/08/2014 13:23:00
@mdaniels - thanks for the clarification as to the format change; to be honest was wracking my head over that one.

Ref the two campaign titles, I agree (have both) but we live in hope.

Have a great weekend.

Mike
Posted on: 29/08/2014 13:53:00
Posted by: Hugo Rodrigues
Total Posts: 5
Joined Date: Monday, 13 December 2010
Mr. McNally: CAM 191 Vienna 1683 isn't a BAD book; it still provides a readable summary of the campaign and Simon Millar did his best regarding the text he delivered. It's just that this particular book lacks the added value one expects from an Osprey booklet in terms of editorial work such as detailed maps, charts, tables, order of battle and other raw data; in that regard, the book doesn't provide much more than what you'd expect to find in a general/popular history book from some other publisher.
Posted on: 31/08/2014 00:35:00
@Hugo R - Many thanks ! Mike.
Posted on: 01/09/2014 23:49:00

10 Item(s)     Sort:  Newest Oldest

per page