Forum

You have 0 bookmarked item(s)
Viewing Topic "Chinese Armour 1924-1949"
  Topic Description
Posted by: AdamC Ok folks, its been a while since we had a book suggestion on the forum to discuss so here’s one for your dissection - Chinese Armour 1924-49. What’s it all about?I’m thinking a NVG title looking at the many, varied and highly eclectic armour used by Chinese forces from 1924 all the way through the Sino-Japanese conflicts of the 1930s, right through WWII and finishing at the end of the Civil War in 1949. After 1949 Soviet supplied armour quickly takes over and the eclectic mix seen in the period cover in this proposed volume quickly disappears. What Makes it so Interesting?The shear variety of tanks and armoured vehicles fielded by Chinese warlords and the central government over the course of this 25 year period is truly fascinating. You have everything from French FT-17 and British Carden Lloyd Tanketts in the 1920s, through Italian Tanketts, German Panzers and Soviet T-26s in the 1930s to US supplied Stuarts Shermans in WWII. You even have extensive use of Japanese tanks like the Type 97 being used in the civil war! It’s a tank enthusiasts dream really!Would it sell?In all honesty only Osprey really knows but given the publication of several books in recent years dealing with Chinese forces of this period (ACE 126 & MAA 463) there is obviously some interest in the location/period out there. Not only that but the shear variety of tanks and armoured cars to look at makes it appealing to tanks buffs in general.Source Material?This I confess is something of an unknown. How accessible are Chinese sources? How much photographic material is available? These are all questions that would need to be answered but again with the presidents of the already mentioned ACE 126 and MAA 463 I’m quietly confident that an expert in the field would be able to produce a reasonable NVG volume.Colour Plates?As previously mentioned you are spoilt for choice when it comes to plate material. I’d love to see a colour profile for a Panzer I or SdKfz 222 in Chinese service along side a couple of M4A4s or a captured Type 97! Chinese M18 Hellcat anybody perhaps or maybe a Vickers 6-ton or a BT-5???So what does everybody think? Is this a goer? Would you buy it? Lets have your thoughts???
Posted on: 25/08/2015 12:54:22

7 Item(s)     Sort:  Newest Oldest

per page

Total Posts: 23
Joined Date: Wednesday, 4 August 2010

Unless there is a significant amount of Chinese produced vehicles in play I would see such a title as a deviation from the NVG concept, as it is essentially a technical series. I believe the subject vehicles you mentioned are already covered in the series - At least from a technical viewpoint. In honesty I believe there aren’t so much more to do for Osprey (except work on a very few gaps) when it comes to WW2 armor. If I am wrong please forgive me. I am not an expert, just an ordinary guy from Denmark…

Posted on: 25/08/2015 13:30:27
Posted by: Paintybeard
Total Posts: 347
Joined Date: Monday, 4 February 2013

Yes AdamC, I think this is a very good candidate for an NVG title. I agree with all your caveats about reliable source material, but if those could be met I'd buy a copy, it would certainly be new information to me and I'd be interested to know about local camoflage patterns.

And perhaps a follow-on title about PRC armour one day? 

Posted on: 25/08/2015 13:31:45
Posted by: AdamC
Total Posts: 267
Joined Date: Thursday, 22 January 2009

Hi Guys! Thanks for the feed back;

ASM – You make a fair point there mate! Overlap!!! I do agree that this title would certainly involve a certain amount of overlap with other NVG titles FT-17, Panzer I, T-26, M3, M5, M4A4, M18 and Type 97 have certainly been covered in other NVGs. I suppose the title would be looking at the subject from less of a technical stand point and rather the story of the acquisition, use and doctrine behind these early Chinese armoured forces as well as covering their colours and markings. There were however many other types employed by Chinese forces in this period that have not been covered, in great detail at least, in other NVG titles. Vehicles like the Carden Lloyd Tankett, Vickers 6-ton E & F, Vickers Amphibious, CV-33 and CV-35 Tankett, BT-5 (although it will have been by 2016), SdKfz 221 and 222 and BA armoured cars would all get a look in too. I’d also say that overlap has never stopped Osprey before, as a precedent I’d point out NVGs 83, 95 (armoured units of the Russian Civil War) and 186 (US Marine Armour in WWII). These three titles took a very similar look at their topics to one I’m proposing here even though many of the vehicles in them had been covered else where in the series. In answer to your question about locally produced types I’m afraid I don’t know of any. China didn’t have the heavy industrial base to produce such vehicles at this time hence the eclectic mix of foreign types.

Painty – As you say, its also a great opener to looking at the heavily Soviet influenced post 1949 Chinese armour in possible later NVG titles (sales of this one pending of course! Lol).

Thanks again for the feed back chaps!

Posted on: 25/08/2015 15:31:41
Posted by: Pete @ Osprey
Total Posts: 79
Joined Date: Friday, 22 May 2015

I'm sure you've already noticed but your suggestion has made its way into this month's book vote. I was already putting a New Vanguard one together and this sounded like one I would love to read.

Let's see how it does!

Pete@Osprey

Posted on: 02/09/2015 14:46:58
Posted by: AdamC
Total Posts: 267
Joined Date: Thursday, 22 January 2009

Hi Pete! Glad you liked it! I had seen that it had made its way into the book vote this month but didn't know if it was as a result of my post or just a coincidence, guess I do know now!!! I'll be really interested to see how it fairs as there are a couple of other strong contenders on the list this month. It's currently third but there's not much daylight between the top three. It certainly seems to be holding its own!!! 

Posted on: 03/09/2015 17:03:23
Posted by: kuvaszsleepybear
Total Posts: 289
Joined Date: Wednesday, 7 August 2013

http://www.pen-and-sword.co.uk/Armoured-Warfare-in-the-Far-East-1937-1945-Paperback/p/11214

Posted on: 07/09/2015 03:54:04
Posted by: PAUL W
Total Posts: 271
Joined Date: Sunday, 4 January 2015

I think it sounds good and have voted for it. As for overlap, as it's only 48 pages maybe the other relevant books in the serries could be cross refered?

Posted on: 27/09/2015 08:16:38

7 Item(s)     Sort:  Newest Oldest

per page