United Kingdom
Advanced search
Osprey will be working from home from Tuesday 17th March. We plan to continue all our operations, while reducing risk of infection by having staff work from home. Please note that we are doing our best to manage incoming post and parcels. For the time being please refrain from sending items to our offices and please assume that items that you have sent to us, have not arrived with their intended recipient. Our priority remains the wellbeing of staff, authors, customers, freelancers, suppliers and distributors. We would like to thank all for their support whilst we transition to virtual operations.

Forum

You have 0 bookmarked item(s)
Viewing Topic "Campaign Title for: Lansdown & Roundway Down 1643"
  Topic Description
Posted by: baldrick The ECW campaign that spanned actions at Lansdown Hill-Siege of Devizes-Roundway Down, in July 1643, is a good example of an initially marginally successful Royalist strategy against the Parliamentarians, that in the end payed big dividends. Largely cavalry actions, where Parliamentarian Horse under the likes of Waller and Hesilrige were pited against cavaliers commanded by Hopton, Hertford, Prince Maurice, Crawford, Byron and Carnarvon (and later Wilmot as well), involved clashes between units the likes of the London Lobsters, Cavalier and Roundhead Harquebusiers, with the widespread adoption of Dragoons and Commanded Musketeers, and a riveting examples of anti-cavalry action by the Cornish Foot against the cuirassiers of Hesilrige, and the common use of breastworks and woods as cover for the musketeers and artillery. Also so many interesting events take place during these actions, such as the death of Sir Bevil Granville (a great loss to the Cornish), the near death of the famous cavalier commander Sir Ralph Hopton when an ammunition wagon exploded after Lansdown (temorarily blinding and paralysing him), the routing of the outflanked Hesilrige (and his near death at the hands of the Royalists who found his cuirassier suit to difficult to deliver a more fatal blow) at Roundway Down, where the loss of Parliamentarian artillery, ammunition and baggage disabled the Parlimentarian cause. In fact, Parliament's entire Western Association army had been wiped out in this sweeping campaign! This campaign has all the hallmarks of a successful Osprey Campaign book, with a large number of prominent commanders of the ECW, lots of great colourful action that would interest most readers (not to mention great examples for the likes of Graham Turner to paint - Hesilrige's Lobsters vs Wilmot's Cavaliers comes to mind), and a strategically important outcome in the war at that time (it could have so nearly gone the King's way). It would make for one great and popular Campaign title. What do others think?
Posted on: 09/03/2013 12:35:00

7 Item(s)     Sort:  Newest Oldest

per page

Total Posts: 373
Joined Date: Monday, 4 February 2013
Absolutely definitely 110% agree with you that this would make an excellent book. In fact when the Newbury title was published I assumed that this would be a companion volume. And it cetainly would contain a wide variety of forces, personalitles and incidents. So come on Osprey it's a decade since we had anything on ECW: Roundeads, Cavaliers and big cavalry actions? How can it not be good!
Posted on: 09/03/2013 14:03:00
Posted by: Tipu Sultan
Total Posts: 5
Joined Date: Saturday, 9 March 2013
Any more English Civil war campaign titles would be Appreciated!
Posted on: 09/03/2013 15:28:00
Posted by: MTG
Total Posts: 30
Joined Date: Wednesday, 21 December 2011
I agree that such a text would be a great addition to Osprey's titles covering the ECW. There is a great piece of artwork by Graham Turner in the Warrior Title 'Ironsides' set during the Battle of Roundway Down which shows a Royalist ineffectively discharging a pistol at a cuirassier at close range.
Posted on: 09/03/2013 16:01:00
Posted by: baldrick
Total Posts: 6
Joined Date: Monday, 20 January 2014
Thanks guys for your supportive comments! MTG tremendous help - thankyou! I was unaware of that painting (by Graham Turner) of the Royalist horseman vs Roundhead Cuirassier at Roundway Down. I don't as yet have a copy of Warrior 44 Ironsides, but thanks to digital print on demand, I am ordering a copy off my local bookseller on Monday. I can't get enough cavalry action, particularly when the Roundhead Lobsters are in the thick of it.
Posted on: 10/03/2013 07:10:00
Posted by: Paintybeard
While you are spending your money you might also consider the companion title in the Warrior series: No.43 "Matchlock Musketeer" with equally good pictures by Stephen Walsh
Posted on: 10/03/2013 08:51:00
Posted by: baldrick
Total Posts: 6
Joined Date: Monday, 20 January 2014
Roger that Paintybeard - thankyou! I'm still new to many of Osprey's ECW titles. I have been reading books by Peter Young and John Barratt (having re-kindled my interest from the early '80's). Your comment on Lansdown Hill- Roundway Down 1643 being produced as a companion title to First Newbury 1643 certainly makes a lot of good sense, and I hope that Osprey take note of it. There does seem to be some notable gaps in Osprey's ECW title selection, such as Worcester 1651 as you suggested, but also other possiblities like Cheriton or Cropredy Bridge from the first war. Also covering some of the more prominent sieges would make sense. Just a thought.
Posted on: 10/03/2013 11:06:00
Posted by: Paintybeard
Oh dear Baldrick, you may start hating me, (or at least your bank manager will), but there is a book in the Fortress series (No.9) that deals with ECW fortifications. It doesn't go into a great deal of detail, but it does give some coverage on some of the bigger sieges and some good illustrations of how many early British fortifiactions were updated to use in the gunpowder era.
Posted on: 10/03/2013 18:37:00

7 Item(s)     Sort:  Newest Oldest

per page