Forum

You have 0 bookmarked item(s)
Viewing Topic "Bizantine-Sassanid war 602-628"
  Topic Description
Posted by: xeneize Was the last, and more merciless roman-persian war, the sassanid conquest Syria, palestine and Egypt, even whit the bulgarians put Constantinople under siege, under the command of Heraclius, the byzantine army recover forces and won amaizing series of victories destroying several sassanid armies and retaken all lost territories. After Ninive(628) the sassanid empire surrender to Heraclius, turning him one of greatest generals of the ancient world. But all know the end, whit both sides worn-out, the muslims armies overrun evrything, at the end of the century, the sassanid empire was over and the bizantines lost most of the empire. Worth a campaign book¡¡¡
Posted on: 20/02/2013 22:02:00

7 Item(s)     Sort:  Newest Oldest

per page

Total Posts: 81
Joined Date: Wednesday, 8 August 2012
I think Belisarius's campaign against the Vandals and then to take back Rome probably has better source material, and it's more epic.
Posted on: 24/02/2013 14:25:00
Posted by: xeneize
Total Posts: 75
Joined Date: Friday, 18 January 2013
Tarawa 90.My point is about the wars against the sassanid empire, Heraclius, for me, was better than Belisarius, the vandals and ostrogods were barbarian armies, the sassanid army was a professional force under a single command and Heraclius preceded Napoleon in the tactic of rapid movement to defeat coverging armies one to one before the enemy know their position.
Posted on: 24/02/2013 17:19:00
Posted by: sassan
Total Posts: 4
Joined Date: Friday, 17 February 2012
tarawa90:I agree that Belisarian campaigns are better documented but MORE EPIC?How much do you know about last Romano-Persian war?Byzantine army in Italian and african campaigns never had more then 30.000 participants and mostly operated(especially when commanded by Belisar)with even much smaller numbers-under 10.000. On the other hand Heraclius at one point lead an army of 150.000 men- one of the hugest romans ever had at one place in any war(70.000 were roman allies). Much more were at stake in this war than in campaigns of Belisar.Belisar only lead an unnecesary war of reconquest.Heraclius waged desperate fight for survival of the roman state itself which was on the very brink of ultimate destruction. Justinianic wars affected only relatively small number of people and area,last Romano-Persian war affected directly milions of people in mostly all provincies of the empire and was central part to large scale Euro-Asian continent conflict-an early medieval precursor to later world wars with military clashes and alliancies that were directly conected to each other from China to Spain. Tens of nations and tribes fought in it at the same time.Belisar only waged war with vandals and later goths in the reconquest campaigns. Constantinople itself was besieged seriously for the first time but heroic defense of the city defeated massive at least 70.000 allied army of Avars,Persians,and various slavic and some germanic tribes-ultimately put an end to mayor Avar raids in europe. Eastern Roman emperor for the first time since 4th century commanded his army in field personaly-a clear sign of how extraordinary was this war seen as.No roman comander ever get so far into Persia not even Trajanus. At the end of the 30 year long struggle old ancient world laid in ruins and new really medieval emerged. More than 200.000 roman and 200.000 persian soldiers died in this war(contemporary claim)and civiliancasualties cannot be counted at all. Sassanid Persia reached its territorial peak just to be so weakened at the end(as war Byzantium)that it wasn't able to stop Arab invasion.It was this war more than anything else that caused the rapid expansion of Islamic caliphate.
Posted on: 25/02/2013 18:09:00
Posted by: sassan
Total Posts: 4
Joined Date: Friday, 17 February 2012
But I only had to react on the statment that Belisars wars were more epic. In fact I would very much like saw Justinianic campaigns made into a campaign series as well as Tose of Heraclius.Although no single battle is documented here well enough to make a book about it,Last Romano-Persian war as a whole is documented well and have some very detailed acounts of sieges.
Posted on: 25/02/2013 18:17:00
Posted by: xeneize
Total Posts: 75
Joined Date: Friday, 18 January 2013
Sassan. You take my point, for six centuries, the roman-persian wars were violent but relativedly brief conflicts, whit decades of relative peace, but the last was a all-out war without mercy, Heraclius campaigns were masterful at the level of Scipion, but at the end all was for both sides a disaster, the arab armies overrun the middle east very easy.
Posted on: 25/02/2013 21:02:00
Posted by: crimean
Total Posts: 33
Joined Date: Monday, 9 February 2009
It would be great if Osprey covered this period of military history. It was a crucial time and the battles went onto shape history which endures with us to this day.
Posted on: 11/03/2013 14:27:00
Posted by: .George Washington
Total Posts: 164
Joined Date: Friday, 21 June 2013
How about something on the Muslim conquest of Persia?
Posted on: 07/02/2014 21:56:00

7 Item(s)     Sort:  Newest Oldest

per page