Forum

You have 0 bookmarked item(s)
Viewing Topic "Battle of Megiddo 1457 BC"
  Topic Description
Posted by: .George Washington This would make a good CAM title. it was fought in 1457 BC between the Canaanites and Egyptians under Pharaoh Thutmose the 3rd. sources might be a problem to do a book on this great battle but since it was the earliest in history and Osprey was able to do a good book on Kadesh I am sure they could do this. comments below please, Thank you
Posted on: 05/12/2013 02:32:00

12 Item(s)     Sort:  Newest Oldest

per page

Total Posts:
Joined Date: Sunday, 20 October 2019
The fact that its Greek name is "Armageddon" makes the battle much more interesting!
Posted on: 05/12/2013 04:16:00
Posted by: CMB
Total Posts: 10
Joined Date: Monday, 15 March 2010
I was under the impression Kadesh was the earliest battle that could be covered with any reliability. What sort of information do they have on Megiddo?
Posted on: 05/12/2013 05:52:00
Posted by: AdamC
Total Posts: 268
Joined Date: Thursday, 22 January 2009
CMB is quite right! Very little (boardering on zero!!!) is known about Megiddo. We have sketchy numbers and very vague details of the battle, siege and aftermath but little else. No force organization would be possible, no birds-eye views would be possible, biographies of the commanders would be impossible and any full color battles scenes would be highly speculative. So my question to you would be how do you think a Campaign title would work on a battle where virtually no details are known??? Its common knowledge that the earliest battle where full force dispositions are known is Kadesh (which has already been done), suggesting a Campaign title any earlier than that is ridiculous
Posted on: 05/12/2013 12:51:00
Posted by: Destory Of Worlds
Total Posts:
CMB and AdamC are both right. Megiddo is only slightly know from some fragmentary sources. Not a good candidate for this series at all. Maybe an Essential History about Ancient Egypt's wars like the Ancient Israel at war, an wonderful volume read, but that would be all that could be done.
Posted on: 05/12/2013 15:50:00
Posted by: .George Washington
Total Posts: 164
Joined Date: Friday, 21 June 2013
Hello everybody, I am sorry if you do not like my idea. Megiddo has received a chapter in one or two books and that is about it. Kadesh had more details known about. I think a Essential Histories on Ancient Egypt's wars with the Israelites, Nubians, Canaanites, Libyans, Hittites, and Babylonians would be awesome. now I see this could never be a Osprey book. thanks for those details.
Posted on: 06/12/2013 01:45:00
Posted by: achim
Total Posts: 40
Joined Date: Wednesday, 11 September 2013
well, George Washington, i don't think your Idea as such is bad, nor do I think there can't be a Osprey Book on it! One problema I see is that you asked for a Campaign Book! and that really won't work! As already lined out by all the others, there is not much to go on! but, I do like the Idea brought forward by Destroyer of Worlds!! a Essential History Book seems entirely posible with the source material on hand! We do know the general "run" of History back then! I.e., it s clear that there was a Battle at Megiddo and that Thutmosis III did win it! a Essential History Book, covering the Military History of the early Levant Area would really be a welcome thing....
Posted on: 06/12/2013 14:51:00
I like the ESSENTIAL HISTORIES idea but maybe as a compromise we could see a COMBAT book on Egyptian vs. Hittite which could contain a chapter on Megiddo.
Posted on: 08/12/2013 13:43:00
the battle of Megiddo was a goodly 200 years before the Hittite empire expanded into syria! It was fought between the Egyptians under Thutmosis III and a coalition of canaanite rulers! Possibly backed by the Hurrite Kingdom of Mitanni.... . If you do a Combat Book on Egyptians and Hittites you are talking about Qadesh again!
Posted on: 09/12/2013 16:36:00
There is a very good British documentary on Megiddo on YouTube. it told me a lot. watch it and learn.
Posted on: 11/12/2013 02:07:00
Posted by: Orlando
Total Posts:
I think it would be possible to write a single Campaign title covering the 14 campaigns of Thutmose III in the Levant. There are a few examples of Campaign titles covering more than one year: Alexander 334–323 BC; The Mongol Invasions of Japan 1274 and 1281; Stirling Bridge and Falkirk 1297–98; The Chesapeake Campaigns 1813–15.
Posted on: 11/12/2013 11:26:00
Posted by: mdaniels
Total Posts: 36
Joined Date: Monday, 14 May 2012
The problem is that, from what I have read in the past, most of what is known (or at least documented) relates to the approach to the battlefield (surprsing the enemy by taking a direct short route via a narrow gorge) rather than of the battle itself or the siege, except that the enemy was able to escape in to the fortress of Megiddo because the Egyptian troops paused to plunder (shades of Vittoria!!). In any case, of course, all we have is the Pharoah's 'official' version of all this. Therefore, not really a Campaign title.
Posted on: 12/12/2013 12:45:00
that is a general problem! the older the campaign/battle/war is, the less real information we have! usually it is just a single source, and this says "..the King advanced quickly through the Woods and suprised his enemy! it was a great victory..."!! i think that an essential history on Thutmosis III campaigns, or, in general on New Kingdom Military history could well be done with such sources! But to do a Campaign title is not really posible!! you see the outcome of such intents on the titles Quadesh (the narrative is good enough, but this is only one posible option onhow the Campaign and the Battle was fought), Mons Graupius and Boudiceas Revolt (where we again have only one real source and this just says "...the Tribune developed his legions in Battle order in front of the mountain and beat the Rebels..."!!
Posted on: 12/12/2013 14:49:00

12 Item(s)     Sort:  Newest Oldest

per page