United Kingdom
Advanced search
Osprey will be working from home from Tuesday 17th March. We plan to continue all our operations, while reducing risk of infection by having staff work from home. Please note that we are doing our best to manage incoming post and parcels. For the time being please refrain from sending items to our offices and please assume that items that you have sent to us, have not arrived with their intended recipient. Our priority remains the wellbeing of staff, authors, customers, freelancers, suppliers and distributors. We would like to thank all for their support whilst we transition to virtual operations.

Forum

You have 0 bookmarked item(s)
Viewing Topic "1952 Battle of Na San"
  Topic Description
Posted by: kuvaszsleepybear See article on Battle of Na San in issue #10 March-April 2014 of 'Modern War' by John Walker on the French air-ground base concept,which later failed so completely at Dien Bien Phu, which was first tested and succeeded at Na San.Good article of the dichotomy in outcomes.
Posted on: 04/02/2014 21:58:00

7 Item(s)     Sort:  Newest Oldest

per page

Total Posts: 371
Joined Date: Monday, 4 February 2013
Oh kuvasz, brace yourself. Saying that ANYTHING French is a failure will earn you a huge sh*tst*rm from Amaral.
Posted on: 05/02/2014 00:59:00
Posted by: Amaral
Total Posts: 200
Joined Date: Friday, 8 March 2013
Ah come on, I am not that bad. ;-) Does the article mentions the guerrillas supported by Na San?
Posted on: 05/02/2014 01:16:00
Posted by: xeneize
Total Posts: 75
Joined Date: Friday, 18 January 2013
But is true, both sides made the analysis. the french did think, than the "airland base" was a succefull concept, Giap , for the next time i will need heavy artillery, AAA and a massive logistic, DBP did show who was right.
Posted on: 05/02/2014 01:20:00
Posted by: kuvaszsleepybear
Total Posts: 297
Joined Date: Wednesday, 7 August 2013
RE;#2 Yes also interesting sidebar on the PIM (prisonier-interne militaires or interned military prisoners) who were captured Viet Minh who became active combatants for the French.After the fall of Dien Bien Phu,the Viet Minh announced they would try as war criminals all French intelligence officers,all those who'd worked with T'ai partisans,and all those who'd guarded Viet Minh prisoners.The PIM compound commander,a Lt.Patricio,known by sight by quite a few,was never denounced or identified by them.Another officer,a Maj.Coldeboeuf,had commanded a large PIM detachment.As he was being marched off to a prison camp he passed in front of his detachment as those men awaited transportation.Every one of them rose and offered a military salute,whereupon they were booted away by their shocked and chagrined Viet Minh liberators.
Posted on: 05/02/2014 04:02:00
How do I get this magazine down here?
Posted on: 05/02/2014 08:58:00
Posted by: kuvaszsleepybear
Total Posts: 297
Joined Date: Wednesday, 7 August 2013
Re:#5 Google "Strategy and Tactics Press" for information.
Posted on: 05/02/2014 19:17:00
Thanks, I will see what I can do. Does the magazine provide more information on the guerrillas? They remained active in the region after the French conventional withdrawall?
Posted on: 07/02/2014 04:35:00

7 Item(s)     Sort:  Newest Oldest

per page