United Kingdom
Advanced search
Osprey will be working from home from Tuesday 17th March. We plan to continue all our operations, while reducing risk of infection by having staff work from home. Please note that we are doing our best to manage incoming post and parcels. For the time being please refrain from sending items to our offices and please assume that items that you have sent to us, have not arrived with their intended recipient. Our priority remains the wellbeing of staff, authors, customers, freelancers, suppliers and distributors. We would like to thank all for their support whilst we transition to virtual operations.

Forum

You have 0 bookmarked item(s)
Viewing Topic "1/16th Scale Figures!"
  Topic Description
Posted by: scratchbuilder Is there anybody else out there who models 1/16th scale figures? I am currently working on the Mini Art Samurai. You can get a decent figure out of a Mini Art kit, but it takes work! While they do some interesting models, they seem to be alone in producing new 1/16th figures at present. Tamiya have no published releases this year and Dragon just keep reissuing their old kits. If you are interested in a 1/16th scale figure/ vehicle information exchange on this web site, please respond.
Posted on: 24/07/2013 11:52:00

15 Item(s)     Sort:  Newest Oldest

per page

Total Posts: 51
Joined Date: Saturday, 6 July 2013
Apparently no one!
Posted on: 29/07/2013 20:30:00
Posted by: Crested Owl
Total Posts: 4
Joined Date: Saturday, 24 August 2013
I think you already have the book but elite: The Samurai has a good plate for lacing pattern of the armor.
Posted on: 30/07/2013 09:07:00
Posted by: scratchbuilder
Thank you Crested Owl. I have all the Osprey arms and dress Japanese books. You said in a previous post that you were a model maker but uncertain about painting them. Do you know of Millitary Modelling magazine? They have an excellent internet archive on painting all sorts of millitary models.
Posted on: 30/07/2013 09:51:00
Biggest problem is my lack of pacience in painting and I usually make very neat unpainted models.... And start to feel like I want to keep them that way. I made my last one several years ago and will paint them all later..sometime. The magazine will be very useful when I start to paint them. So thank you very much!
Posted on: 30/07/2013 11:42:00
Crested Owl: The best way to learn to paint figures is to pick up a brush and begin! If you are worried about painting small, start on something larger. Some excellent large scale busts are made in Korea by the Young company. Nobody's first attempt is brilliant, you learn as you go along. Do you belong to a modelling club? If there is one in your area I would suggest that you join. Most experienced figure painters are more than happy to pass on their knowledge.
Posted on: 30/07/2013 20:48:00
Thanks for your advice! I am going to start with cheaper and larger kits.
Posted on: 31/07/2013 14:16:00
Crested Owl: Mini Art kits are in general, not for the faint hearted; but their napoleonic mounted figures are relatively well engineered and build up into an impressive model. I don't know about price and availability in Korea, but in europe they are relatively cheap.
Posted on: 31/07/2013 18:55:00
Posted by: Paintybeard
Total Posts: 372
Joined Date: Monday, 4 February 2013
Very pleased to hear of a fellow painter, scratchbulider. Got to admit I usually work in a smaller scale than 1/16 due to lack of storage space. In stead of doing big figures I've taken to painting busts as faces are so challenging to get right!
Posted on: 31/07/2013 19:05:00
Paintybeard: Welcome back from the briney! Busts are nice, but as yet I haven't got around to painting one. Perhaps one day, but at the moment I am trying to reduce the pre-retirement stash. I live in a small studio flat so storage is a problem, but I manage. Unfortunately I can't display any finished work.
Posted on: 31/07/2013 21:24:00
Hello again scratchbuilder, yes, display space is a problem, isn't it. I have wall space for just one decent sized display cabinet, so only the models I am really please with get put on show. The rest are all in cardboard boxes, filling up various cupboards.
Posted on: 03/08/2013 08:21:00
Oh, and I've given up worrying about the size of my lead mountain, as Oscar Wilde said, the only way to get rid of temptation is to give into it.
Posted on: 03/08/2013 08:22:00
Paintybeard: My 1/16th scale figures are plinth mounted and I have found the ideal storage containers. Sturdy, safe and correct in size. The boxes which formerly contained bottles of Jameson's 18 year Irish whiskey! Storage has become as much of a pleasure as model making. In view of this information perhaps you should consider 1/16th scale yourself.
Posted on: 03/08/2013 12:26:00
That is very persuasive reasoning.
Posted on: 03/08/2013 19:11:00
On the Mini Art website they have a test assembly for the 1 / 16th scale English Longbowman. (Later 15th century, suitable for War Of The Roses.) Hurrah! It seems that they are finally making inroads into their phantom army. The basic figure looks good, but the arms will require work. I couldn't tell if it is a design, or an assembly fault, but the head doesn't line up with the direction of aim. The bow, in scale, appears to be at least a foot over length. The arrows are overscale, but this is the shortcoming of the injection moulding process. The armour seems nicely detailed, particularly the brigandine. You can get a decent figure out of a 1 / 16th Mini Art, but it takes work. All in all I enjoy a challenge and am am looking forward to this one. Comments and opinions please.
Posted on: 14/08/2013 18:04:00
At Euro Militaire last weekend I saw the new Takom 1 /16th scale Renault FT17 tank kit being assembled. It has full interior detail in both the crew compartment and the engine bay. The overall standard of the mouldings is excellent and well detailed. They can be improved or super detailed here and there, but what kit can't? The gentleman informed me that Takom may produce the WWII upgraded version as a separate kit. Takom is a new name to me, but they can produce as many new kits of this scale and quality as they like! I have seen it offered for as little as £69-99 and up to £89-99.
Posted on: 27/09/2013 16:59:00

15 Item(s)     Sort:  Newest Oldest

per page