About this Product
The Battle of the Somme was the most devastating engagement in which British troops fought during the First World War. The 141 days of conflict saw 400,000 British and Commonwealth casualties, with 60,000 on the first day alone. Since the end of the war, the battlefield has become hallowed ground as visitors fall silent at the sight of the rows of white gravestones marking the resting place of tens of thousands of soldiers.
Published in partnership with the Commonwealth War Graves Commission (CWGC), this is a thematic guide to about 30 locations on the Somme. Released as part of the commemorations of the anniversary of the battle, this a high quality, weather resistant battlefield companion, spiral bound and containing a map and battlefield trails. It suggests sites to visit, and reveals some of the lesser-known stories behind CWGC sites and the men and women they commemorate, providing a snapshot of the day's fighting and its casualties. This is an invaluable resource for anyone travelling to the Somme in this centenary year.
About this Book
The Battle of the Somme
- The British Army on the Somme
Exploring the Battlefields
- Visiting CWGC cemeteries and memorials
- The Cemeteries of the Somme
- The North: Serre Road Cemetery No.2 * Serre Road Cemetery No. 1 * Redan Ridge Cemetery No. 3 * Beaumont-Hamel British Cemetery * Newfoundland Memorial Park * Ancre British Cemetery
- The Southern Advance: Bapaume Post Military Cemetery * Fricourt New Military Cemetery * Devonshire Cemetery * Dantzig Alley British Cemetery * Carnoy Military Cemetery * Peronne Road Cemetery * Quarry Road Cemetery, Montauban * Caterpillar Valley Cemetery
- Thiepval Ridge: Connaught Cemetery and Mill Road Cemetery * Lonsdale Cemetery *Ovillers Military Cemetery * Pozieres British Cemetery * Thiepval Memorial
- Attrition: Delville Wood Cemetery *Bernafay Wood British Cemetery * Guillemont Road Cemetery * Guards' Cemetery, Lesbœufs * Bulls Road Cemetery *London Cemetery and Extension * Courcelette British Cemetery * Adanac Military Cemetery * Warlencourt British Cemetery
The Commonwealth War Graves Commission