OSPREY PUBLISHING COOKIES POLICY
What are cookies and how do they work?
Cookies are pieces of information that a website transfers to your hard drive to store and sometimes track information about you. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but if you prefer, you can change your browser to prevent that and your help screen or manual will tell you how to do this. However, you will not be able to take full advantage of our website if you do so. Cookies are specific to the server that created them and cannot be accessed by other servers, which means they cannot be used to track your movements around the web. Although they do identify a user's computer, cookies do not personally identify users and passwords and credit card information are not stored in cookies.
What sort of cookies do we use?
We use the following types of cookies:
- Strictly necessary cookies. These are cookies that are required for the operation of our website and under our terms with you. They include, for example, cookies that enable you to log into secure areas of our website, use a shopping cart or make use of e-billing services.
- Analytical/performance cookies. They allow us to recognise and count the number of visitors and to see how visitors move around our website when they are using it. This helps us for our legitimate purposes to improve the way our website works, for example, by ensuring that users are finding what they are looking for easily.
- Functionality cookies. These are used to recognise you when you return to our website. This enables us, subject to your choices and preferences, to personalise our content for you, greet you by name and remember your preferences (for example, your choice of language or region).
- Targeting cookies. These cookies record your visit to our website, the pages you have visited and the links you have followed. We will use this information subject to your choices and preferences to make our website and the advertising displayed on it more relevant to your interests. We may also share this information with third parties for this purpose.
Where can you find more information about the cookies that we use?
This table sets out the cookies we use and the duration they are used for:
When do our cookies expire?
Except for essential cookies, the majority of cookies on our site last for a few days while a couple of cookies last longer, as per the above table. In any event, all cookies on our site will expire after one year.
How do you disable cookies?
The effect of disabling cookies depends on which cookies you disable, but in general the website may not operate properly if cookies are switched off. If you only disable third party cookies, you will not be prevented from making purchases on our sites. If you disable all cookies, you will be unable to complete a purchase on our sites. See below for details of how to use common types of browser to disable cookies.
Disabling cookies in Internet Explorer
1. Choose the menu “tools” then “Internet Options”
2. Click on the “privacy” tab
3. Select the setting the appropriate setting
Disabling cookies in Google Chrome
1. Choose Settings> Advanced
2. Under "Privacy and security," click “Content settings”.
3. Click “Cookies”
Disabling cookies in Safari
1. Choose Preferences > Privacy
2. Click on “Remove all Website Data”
Disabling cookies in Firefox
1. Choose the menu “tools” then “Options”
2. Click on the icon “privacy”
3. Find the menu “cookie” and select the relevant options
Disabling cookies in Opera
Opera 6.0 and subsequent:
1. Choose the menu Files”> “Preferences”
Other help we may provide
How to get help
The Data Protection Officer
Osprey Publishing c/o Bloomsbury Publishing Plc
50 Bedford Square
Contact: Michael Daykin, Data Protection Officer
Phone: 0207 631 5600