In this blog, Michael Leck looks at the different conflicts you can bring to your tabletop with Rebels and Patriots, the upcoming wargame he has written with Daniel Mersey. This blog is adapted from one originally found on Michael's personal blog.
British Loyalist Skirmishers from the American War of Independence. Miniatures painted by my mate Jesper.
One of the most common questions I get regarding Rebels and Patriots is:
Can I use the Rebels and Patriots rules for this conflict...
The answer to that question is:
Yes you can!
...at least with a minimum of adjustments, if any at all.
Swedish Light Cavalry charged by Russian Hussars fielded as Shock Cavalry, Finnish War 1808-09
Rebels and Patriots is written with a focus on North American conflicts from the Seven Year War until the American Civil War and a little bit futher, and we have included more than 40 example army lists for 13 different North American conflicts:
- French and Indian War (1754–63)
- American War of Independence (1775–83)
- Northwest Indian War (1785–95)
- Mexican War of Independence (1810–21)
- War of 1812 (1812–15)
- Texas Revolution (1835–36)
- Canada Patriots Rebellion (1837–38)
- Mexican–American War (1846–48)
- Cortina War (1859–60, 1861)
- American Civil War (1861–65)
- The Mexican Adventure, French intervention in Mexico (1861–67)
- Fenian Raids (1866–71)
- What-if: British Intervention Force in North America (1860s)
With these army lists as a base, it should not be a problem for you to make your own army lists for any conflicts raging across the globe during this period of history. In short – yes, you can use Rebels and Patriots for other conflicts!
For example, you can use the Rebels and Patriots rules for the Finnish War 1808-09 as I do, using the latest Perry Miniature range of Napoleonic Swedes.
I’ve even put together a 24-point Peninsular War list for you to use if you wish!
Sharpe’s Rifles – 1809-12
- Officer Richard Sharp, Trait: Heroic Leader (1 mini)
- 1 unit of Veteran Skirmishers that are Sharpshoters - Chosen men of the 95th rifles (5 minis + Officer).
- 2 units of Light Infantry - Captain Fredrickson and 60th rifles (2x12 minis)
- 1 unit of Mounted Skirmishers - Teresa Moreno´s Spanish guerrilla (6 minis, most on foot and a few mounted or horseholders)
As it happens, Brigade Games have an extensive Napoleonic Range with a bunch of miniatures that closely resemble the characters in the Sharpe series, all sculpted by the talented Paul Hicks.
Rebels and Patriots, the latest addition to the Osprey Wargames series, will publish on 24 January 2019. Preorder your copy today!